Users Who Spiked
HOW TO FIND YOUR FOOTING AS A NEW ADULT
No one is ever prepared to be an adult. It comes gradually and you learn to roll with the punches, one after another. To be honest, I’ve never actually been given an instruction manual on how to be an adult. I’m still learning and have room to improve, but I have prepared some helpful tips for the young adults who have no one to help them grow in this metamorphosis stage.
1. You’re not going to read a book and figure it out. You have to really try. Trust me, It’s going to be really hard to not trust someone else’s opinion on this (ironically, including mine), but you have to get over your fear of the unknown and do weird and boring things like applying to jobs and going to the DMV. All your life, you’ve been taught what to do and exactly when to do it. But now that the safety net has gone away, you can certainly focus on you and use the talents that you’ve been given for the good of the rest of the planet!
2. Delete the “ghosts” from your contact list. Keep your friend’s list online and in your contact list clean. Got a ghost friend who just hits you up when they need something? Let them go! If there is someone who mainly causes you to be confused if they really are your friend, you can go ahead and assume that they aren’t. Remember, being an adult is all about watching out for your own best interest. DO YOU. Sorry Sally, you’ve got to go.
3. Keep your closet nice and tidy. One of my secrets is that I go through my clothes and just get rid of (donate) all the clothes I never actually wear. What this has done is that it has narrowed down my closet items to the “best of the best”. I love wearing the stuff that makes me feel my best. I am now free of carrying that load from all those years. Those clothes were ugly anyways.
4. Chiiiiiiiiill. At every juncture of my short adult life, I have found fellow adults around me worrying about the same old mess. Everywhere you go, you will find the crowd that thinks this or that is too overwhelming. Everybody worries about bills, career success, and pretty much all the same things. But do you want to be one who stands out among the rest? Chill.
5. Go to bed at a reasonable time every night. My most wonderful advice. Back in college, I used to go to bed at exactly 11 p.m. every night and that would be okay because I could always go back to my room the next day and take a small nap. Nowadays, I can only dream of that. Choose a good time to sleep that allows you to wake up not feeling like you just returned from a road trip to hell. I like 9 p.m. Okay fine 8.
6. Love love love your self. I honestly don’t mean it in a conceited way. I mean, you have to love yourself enough to wake up to this broken world and remind yourself there’s a reason for all this stress. You’re going to get somewhere one day. You have to love your own unique process and you have to smile through alllll the pain. Adulting doesn’t always have to be so hard. In the end, all we’re ever going to remember is love, and how much we loved each other.
Please login to post comments on this story