Users Who Spiked
10 TIPS TO LIVE A MORE PEACEFUL LIFE
It can be so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day craziness that is life. Whether it is a 9 to 5 job, paying bills or the overall responsibilities of "adulting," stress can be a huge factor that can create negative repercussions in our life. Over time, I have learned that there are a few simple steps you can take to unwind. Here are 10 tips to live a more peaceful life:
1. Meditate - I have found that taking 3-5 minutes out of my day to focus on connecting with my thoughts is a very simple way of creating a more peaceful headspace. I'll be honest, the first few weeks of meditation can be very challenging since it is difficult to not let your worries and daily to-do's take over your mind. However, guided meditations can be really helpful with this as they teach you to focus on one thing at a time so that you slowly improve your meditation skills. There are a few apps as well as videos on YouTube that you can check out in order to get started!
2. Surround yourself with plants - This might sound like a very weird or eccentric point. However, I have learned that filling my house with plants and flowers really adds a touch of "life" into my environment. Plants are a great way of purifying the air that you breathe and also teach you responsibility and discipline since you have to learn how to properly care for them. Waking up and looking at my flowers gives me an instant boost of happiness. You are in control of your environment, so make it a healthy one.
3. Forgive; hold no grudges - A big part of our mental health can be highly affected by the emotions that we bottle up, which may lead us to live a life where we are holding grudges. I have learned that some of the best ways to create inner peace after having a fight or a fall out with family or friends is to simply let go by forgiving. Forgiveness doesn't mean that you are forgetting the issue at hand, it simply allows you to build a new beginning for inner peace and mental ease. Letting go of these emotions will help you get closure.
4. Less screen time - Our world has become more and more dependent on technology and screens. Although there are many advantages to a technologically advanced era, there can be many downsides to staring at screens for too long. I have noticed that the days when I use my phone or computer too much don't end too well; I get headaches, feel saturated and sometime overwhelmed. The instantaneous expectations of social media have made us all really attached to our devices so that we can reply and get back to people as soon as we can! It is ok to take a breather and take your time before getting back to someone; people will understand. Take some moments a day to be device-free! It'll allow you to enjoy and appreciate your surroundings much more.
5. Spend money on experiences not objects - Throughout my life I have noticed that every time I spend my money on objects, I tend to feel a little regret and check my bank account instantly to remind myself how much it is that I spent on that given object. Although it may have been something that I wanted really badly, there is always a small sense of regret behind that purchase. However, after I share a good meal with friends or family, or go kayaking on a nice summer day, that regret doesn't exist. This is because spending money on experiences changes your perspective on whether something was "worth it" or not. Yes, a new top can be really cute and make you happy for a few days, but a meal between friends that ended in laughter and a deeper connection has no price! Try to spend your money on experiences rather than objects.
6. 5 by 5 rule - This is incredibly simple and helpful: If in 5 years it won't matter, don't think about it for more than 5 minutes. Apply this 5 by 5 rule as needed!
7. Exercise - I know, you have probably heard this from you doctor, mom, aunt, nutritionist and everyone ever. But it is a cliché because it is true! Scientifically, exercising on a regular basis literally makes you happier. Endorphins are you new best friend, and they are here to help you live a much happier and healthier life. So go out or to the gym and get at least 20 minutes of daily active work and watch your endorphins work wonders!
8. Eat your greens - This point is similar to number 7. You are what you eat actually has true meaning behind it. Have ever had a nice, greasy combo of burger and fries? I'm sure you enjoyed it while it lasted. However, the feeling afterwards is normally one of extra fullness, laziness, and fatigue. Although these things are tasty (and although they are ok every once in a while) they will not have a positive effect on your health and body. Eat things that will nourish your body and give it energy. I promise that these are golden rules for a reason; they work!
9. Listen to good music - As a musician myself, I swear by this rule! There is nothing like playing music early in the morning to bump up your morning. Crank up your favorite song or artist and watch how music will instantly change your mood and day (and if you end up dancing around your kitchen, even better)!
10. Count your blessings not your problems - This is more of a mentality rather than an action. There are endless things that we can complain about day in and day out. Luckily, there is double the amount of blessings that we can count. We are extremely lucky to be living such a beautiful life in this world, so even if you are having one of those it-feels-like-Monday day, remember to count your blessings and things will turn around!
Please login to post comments on this story